Wood chippers, also known as wood chipper shredders or garden shredders, are designed to turn your garden waste into usable garden mulch for flower beds, leaf mold, or composting.
They can easily chew up bulky branches, twigs, and leaves in seconds, keeping your yard neat and clean without having to burn your garden waste (which can be dangerous or against regulations) or transport it to a disposal site.
In this guide, we’ll look at the best wood chippers for 2022, as well as features to consider when buying a wood chipper, and more.
Best Wood Chippers for 2022
1. Earthwise GS70015 15-Amp Garden Shredder
2. Sun Joe CJ602E-RED Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
3. SuperHandy Wood Shredder Mulcher
4. Sun Joe SDJ616 Electric Leaf Mulcher/Shredder
5. Southland SCS2052 Chipper Shredder
6. EFCUT C30 LITE Wood Shredder
7. WEN 41121 15-Amp Rolling Electric Wood Chipper and Shredder
8. Landworks Wood Chipper Shredder
Types of Wood Chipper
There are two main types of wood chipper on the market:
Gas Wood Chipper
This is the most traditional type of wood chipper. These are usually more powerful and can be used in commercial and landscaping applications as well as for home use.
The downside is that these emit fumes, are quite noisy to run, and do require some maintenance.
Electric Wood Chipper
These use an electric motor to shred and chip wood. They are usually more suitable for home use as they are smaller and less powerful, run much more quietly, and don’t emit any fumes.
They also require less maintenance. You can find both corded and cordless varieties, with corded options offering the least range and the most run time, while battery options are more portable.
What to Consider When Buying a Wood Chipper
Before you buy your chipper or shredder, there are a few things to consider to make sure it’s the right piece of equipment for your yard.
- Power – The more power you have, the better the chipper or shredder can handle hard wood and larger branches, so it’s important to consider how powerful the engine needs to be.
Electric wood chippers are better suited to small branches and offer about 1-3 horsepower, while gas models can take bigger branches and offer around 4-10 horsepower.
- Feed capacity – This determines the thickness of the branches that the chipper can handle, so you need to make sure it matches up with the size of the branches you’re working with.
You’ll want the diameter to be slightly bigger than the branches so that they won’t get stuck, and the chipper can handle any bends or knots.
- Reduction ratio – This is how fine the debris from the chipper will be and is a measurement of by how much the volume of the branches is reduced. Most woodchippers have a 10:1 or 20:1 ratio.
The finer the ratio, the faster the chipped material will break down into the soil or compost.
- Blades and flails – The more blades/flails the chipper has, the more effective it will be at reducing branches to chips quickly. If you have fewer blades, you may also find that you need to sharpen or replace them more often because they have to work harder.
- Additional extras – Some accessories and additional extras can be a great help around the yard. This can include tilt-down hoppers, electric starters, collection bags, safety features, and more.
Best Wood Chippers Reviews
Best Wood Chipper Shredders
Best Wood Chipper - Our Top Pick
If you’re looking for a great all-rounder garden shredder for everyday yard use, then we recommend the Earthwise GS70015 15-Amp Garden Corded Electric Chipper.
It’s a great portable electric wood chipper that can handle fairly large branches (up to 1.75 inches thick) and comes with a useful 1.2 bushel collection bin. It’s stable, easy to use, and affordable.
Best Value Wood Chipper
If you are looking for performance and affordability, we recommend the Sun Joe CJ602E-RED 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder.
You get all the benefits of this well-known brand in this electric corded wood chipper, including portability, compact and lightweight design.
It has some great safety features, can shred branches up to 1.5 inches in diameter, and is eco-friendly too!
Premium Choice Wood Chipper
If you want a real workhorse for your money, take a look at the SuperHandy Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher. Built for durability and performance, this gas wood chipper can be taken to any site to shred branches up to 3-inches in diameter.
Although it’s more expensive, you get great value for your money as it chips, shreds and mulches, and is powerful enough to be used in residential, landscaping, or forestry applications.
Start Making Yard Maintenance Easy with the Best Wood Chipper
A wood chipper is ideal for any larger or high maintenance property where you want to keep your yard looking neat and tidy without having to worry about the hassle of getting rid of debris.
With your own wood shredder, you can also make your own leaf mold or compost, helping to nourish your plants for free. To help you make your composting easier, check out our review on the best garden composters for 2022.
Remember to look at the feed capacity, power, and reduction ratio before you buy, and you’ll be sure to get the best wood chipper for your money!