A wood burning fire pit is a great addition to any backyard or camping trip, creating that warm, cozy ambience of a night out in nature, under the stars, wherever you are.
In our buyer’s guide, we’ll cover what to look for in a fire pit, factors to consider before you buy, and the best fire pits of 2023.
Our Top Pick
Best Fire Pits for 2023
1. Sunnydaze Northland Outdoor Fire Pit
2. FIRESIDE OUTDOOR Pop-Up Fire Pit
3. BALI OUTDOORS Wood Burning Fire Pit
4. Sunnydaze 30 inch Cosmic Round Outdoor Fire Pit
5. WINWEND Outdoor Wood Burning Fire Pit
6. GOOGNICE Outdoor Fire Pit
7. Amagabeli Outdoor Fire Pit
8. OT QOMOTOP Portable Outdoor Fire Pit
9. Pleasant Hearth Sunderland Deep Round Bowl Fire Pit
10. Campfire Defender Protect Preserve Pop-Up Fire Pit
What to Consider When Buying a Fire Pit
- Wood burning laws and regulations – Depending on where you live, there may be laws and regulations that apply to your wood burning fire pit.
Generally speaking, you cannot use a fire pit on a covered porch, and some Home Owners Associations and municipalities may apply additional fines if your fire pit is not in compliance.
It’s always best to check what local laws and rules apply to your neighborhood and home before you make a purchase.
- Location – It’s not advisable to have your fire pit located under low hanging branches, too close to your home (less than 10 feet from your home), in areas where wind may blow embers away, or under covers.
These are for outdoor use, so do not place your fire pit indoors. Again, it’s important to check local ordinances for more detailed guidance on where to place your fire pit to ensure it’s safe and compliant.
- Style – There are so many different styles of outdoor fire pit that it can be hard to choose! Making it perfect for your outdoor bbq!
You may want one for camping that’s foldable and easily portable, one that’s sleek and modern to match your contemporary home, or one that’s rustic to create that authentic campfire feel.
- Size – The bigger your fire pit, the bigger the fire you can create. The best sized fire pits are 36-44 inches wide, as this produces a good-sized fire while allowing everyone to gather fairly close.
Remember to make sure there is enough space around your fire pit for easy movement.
- Material – Choose a fire pit that is designed for durability and wear, so that it lasts a long time and can withstand all seasons if it’s going to be permanently outdoors.
Cast aluminum is more rust-proof, copper can stain, and cast iron is very durable and traditional but heavy to move.
- Features and accessories – Fire pits can be simple fire-proof bowls or can be versatile enough to give you a wide range of functionality.
Many come with accessories like spark guards, adjustable cooking grills, space for setting down drinks and snacks, and covers to protect them from harsh weather.
- Safety features – Look for fire pits with good safety features like spark screens, sturdy legs, and durable materials. It’s important that your fire pit is especially safe from young children, from collapsing burning logs, and sits firmly on the ground.
Best Fire Pits Reviews for 2023
Best Outdoor Fire Pits for 2023
Best Fire Pit - Our Top Pick
Our choice as the best outdoor fire pit for 2023 is the Sunnydaze Northland Outdoor Fire Pit! It’s affordable as well as offering great quality and plenty of features, giving you a great showpiece for your backyard.
The hinged door makes it easy to use as a grill and add firewood, and it doesn’t weigh too much so it’s pretty portable too. The heavy-duty design is built to last, and features a durable steel body, heat-resistant high-temperature paint finish, and a chrome cooking grate. It also comes with a full grilling kit and a 1 year warranty.
Best Value Fire Pit
For value-for-money, there’s no better bet than the FIRESIDE OUTDOOR Pop-Up Fire Pit. Ideal for camping, BBQs by the river, RV trips and overlanding, it’s compact, practical and fully portable.
Weighing just 8lbs and having a practical carry bag, it’s easy to take with you wherever you go. The 24 x 24 inch burn area is ideal for grilling, s’mores and outdoor warmth, and the design maximizes airflow to produce good heat with little smoke.
The fire mesh comes with a 50 fire, 1 year guarantee, and the unit actually exceeds BLM and Forest Service regulations for fire pans.
Best Premium Fire Pit
If you’re looking for an extra special fire pit for your backyard, then the BALI OUTDOORS Wood Burning Fire Pit is worth spending your money on!
As our premium pick, it costs a little more than the others, but has a lot of great features to show for it, including a high-quality, 360-degree rotating, height-adjustable cooking grate, outer ledge for drinks and grill accessories, log rack, and fire poker.
The design is sleek and simple, made from high-quality, durable steel, and rounded for close gatherings around the flames.
Fire Pit Frequently Asked Questions
Are Fire Pits Dangerous?
Fire in any form has its dangers, but having a fire pit is no more dangerous than lighting a grill or a campfire. Remember to secure it from small children and pets.
Take appropriate precautions when using your fire pit, and don’t leave it burning while unsupervised. It’s also a good idea to look at a fire pit that has a spark screen and other safety features.
What Can You Burn in a Fire Pit?
Only burn wood or charcoal in your fire pit – don’t use it for burning trash or yard waste as this is illegal in most areas. Burning plastics and other waste can also release dangerous chemicals into the air.
What is the Best Wood for Fire Pits?
Denser woods are the best woods for fire pits, as they tend to burn for longer and give off the most heat. Good species to burn include Black Oak, White Oak, Hickory, Yew, Coast Live Oak, Walnut, Avocado and Ash.
Wood should be seasoned for 6 months before burning, it should be cut to lengths that easily fit into your fire pit, and should be stored covered and off the ground to prevent rot and limit pests.
If you want to do your own wood chopping, check out our review on the best splitting mauls available online.
Gather Friends and Family Around the Best Fire Pit of 2023!
For more outdoor ideas for our garden, check out our best garden furniture and best outdoor ceiling fan reviews. Fire has a magical quality, bringing us closer together to share, cook, and have fun under the night sky.
When looking for a fire pit, be aware of your local municipal and HOA regulations for outdoor fires, and place it out of the way of flammable materials.
Some fire pits are more portable than others, so consider different options for camping or RV trips to models for patio use. We hope this guide helped you find the best fire pit for your needs, and that you enjoy it for many years to come!