Are you looking for the best garden hose reel? If you aren’t lucky enough to have built-in irrigation, then you’re going to get a lot of use out of a garden hose!
A garden hose reel allows you to water simply and easily, without having to drag heavy tangles of hose around your yard. Here’s our ultimate buyer’s guide and garden hose reel reviews to help you find the best garden hose reel at an affordable price.
Best Garden Hose Reel For 2021
What is a Garden Hose Reel?
Garden hose reels are spindles that you use to roll up your hose for storage, helping to keep your yard neat and clean, and your hose untangled.
They can be made out of plastic, fiberglass or metal, and can be portable or fixed in a permanent position on a wall or in a portion of your yard.
Most garden hose reels are manual, working on a sweat and elbow grease-driven crank, but there are motor operated ones and spring retractable ones too.
Benefits of Using a Garden Hose Reel
The best garden hose reels offer several benefits, including:
- Easy hose storage – They’re great for keeping your garden neat and organized.
You can also place your portable hose reel in the garage or storage shed to get rid of clutter or to store it safely over icy winter months.
- Hose durability – Garden hoses last a lot longer when they are properly stored on a reel.
They’re out of the sun (which causes the hose material to weaken and crack), out of the way of vehicles and mowers that can damage them, and they keep your hose gently coiled to prevent frustrating kinks and tangles.
- Safety – Garden hoses aren’t particularly dangerous, but they can be a tripping hazard if left lying around the yard.
They can also do damage if run over by a mower, tiller or other yard equipment.
- Healthy yard – If you’ve ever left your hose lying on the grass for a few days, you’ll know the frustration of seeing streaks of dead, yellow grass underneath.
That’s because the hose is heavy and blocks sunlight, killing the grass. It can also damage and crush plants in flower beds if it’s left lying on them.
- Convenience – Reels really do make watering the yard by hand a lot easier! You don’t have to pull out your whole hose just to water a portion of your yard – you just use what you need, pulling to unwind it and leaving the rest on the reel.
You also don’t have to deal with tangles or kinks in the hose that come from imperfect storage.
Types of Garden Hose Reel
There’s quite a variety of options you can find in local garden centers and home stores, as well as our garden hose reel reviews. These include:
- Wall Mounted Garden Hose Reel – You can attach one of these directly to a wall in your yard for year-round access. It uses a manual crank to reel the hose in.
It’s best to choose this option if you live in a milder climate where your hose is not at risk of freezing.
This is the best garden hose reel if you want your hose stored near the water source and close to where you’ll work in the yard.
- Trolley-mounted – Some garden hose reels are mounted on a wheeled trolley that you can move wherever you want in the yard.
This is the best garden hose reel if you have multiple water points in a large garden where you want to use your hose, and if you want to be able to easily store your hose in a shed or garage when not in use or over the winter.
They usually come in manual crank and spring retractable hose options.
- Automatic reel – These have a small motor that will reel in the garden hose for you, so it’s a great choice for anyone with back problems or anyone who wants to make watering as easy as possible.
Usually, these come with a hose attached, as the motor is designed to accommodate a certain hose length and weight.
- Spring hose reel – Also called self-retracting reels, these reels have a built-in spring mechanism that tightens as the hose is reeled out.
With a quick tug, the retraction mechanism activates and retracts the hose, spooling it back up.
There is usually a lock mechanism that prevents this from happening while you are watering.
- Plastic hose reels – These are the most affordable option, and usually you can find wall and trolley mounted reels in plastic.
They are pretty durable, but you shouldn’t leave them out in the sun or very cold weather, as they will degrade and snap.
- Metal hose reels – Also called auto-winding reels, these hose reels are very strong and durable, and are great if you have a more demanding yard or want a mounted reel that won’t be affected by the weather.
Trolley-mounted hose reels that are part metal tend to last longer and take a lot more punishment than purely plastic counterparts.
How to Choose the Best Garden Hose Reel
You don’t just want any reel – you want the best garden hose reel, and that means finding one that works for your yard and your budget. Here’s what to look for in garden hose reel reviews:
- Length and width – The label on the reel will tell you the length of the hose it can store, which is determined by the size of the reel.
Make sure your existing hose will fit properly, especially if you have a very long one.
- Durability – The best garden hose reels are well-made and durable. This is important because hoses are very heavy and you want your hose reel to last more than a season, so be sure to read garden hose reel reviews carefully.
For wall-mounted options, make sure they have enough anchor points to secure it properly to the wall and hold the hose, and choose a metal option rather than a plastic one if you live in a very sunny or very cold climate.
For trolley-mounted options, make sure they have large, well-made wheels with good treads for stability, and that the frame components are made of metal for strength.
Good brands also make sure the handle is adjustable to suit your height.
- Mobility – If you struggle with a heavy garden hose or have to move your hose between watering points, then the best garden hose reel is a trolley-mounted option, as this puts the least strain on your back and knees.
You can often find both traditional and spring retractable garden hose reels mounted on trolleys.
- Retractability – If convenience and avoiding heavy lifting is your priority, avoid manual crank options and choose a reel with either a spring retractor or motor retractor.
The motor retractor options tend to be quite expensive, while the spring retractors offer good value for money.
Best Garden Hose Reel Reviews
The Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Wall Mounted Garden Hose Reel is durable because of the powder coated steel hose reel.
It comes with a wall mounting arm that is made out of aluminum, which can be used to set the hose reel into a parallel or perpendicular to your wall.
You can also modify it for left or right handed use.
Another good thing about this hose reel is that it is rated at 150 PSI for use with any water source.
It includes 6 feet in length rubber connection hose, for you to quickly set it up and use it when needed.
It also includes a mounting hardware, so you no longer need to worry about buying it for you to be able to install it immediately.
The Strongway garden hose reel is built to last because of the corrosion resistant industrial powder coat finish of the product.
- Made out of steel for durability
- Has a mounting bracket
- Can be locked into position
- Hose is exposed completely to the elements
Are you tired of pulling out your hose and unravelling it every single time you need to use it? If so, you may want to think about investing in a Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel.
Hoses can be a pain to work with. Dragging them out and untangling them. Then rolling it back up and putting it away. With the Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel, the hose is always ready to go whenever you need it.
The retractable hose reel by Giraffe Tools make gardening and yard work easier. No matter when you need your hose, it is ready to use. And to make them even better, they are recyclable.
Why is the Giraffe Retractable Hose Reel Better?
The Giraffe Tools Retractable collection with automatic alignment function helps to ensure that each retraction is aligned neatly. And when you are ready to use the hose again, it pulls out smoothly with no kinks.
Installation of the Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel is simple. Since the hose is already in the reel, you only need to attach the bracket then slide the reel on and secure it. There are no complicated parts to figure out.
Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel Specifications:
Hose Reel Dimensions:
22.795“ x 17.559” x 10.197“
5.197” x 8.268” x 3.858”
High-Quality Polypropylene Casing
Hose and multi function nozzle
If you are always fighting with your hose, the Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel may be the garden tool for you. The reel is retractable and extremely easy to use. With this reel, you will always have your hose ready to go.
No more dragging a heavy hose around. Simply pull out the hose and turn on the water. When you are done, turn off the water and let the reel rewind the hose for you.
The Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. The Retractable Hose Reel was super easy to install. We decided to hang it on a wood pole. After centering the bracket, we attached it with the screws.
Once securely attached, the reel slid on the bracket with ease. There are two small screws that need to be installed to hold the reel on the bracket.
If you are hanging it on a wood pole, the installation will be extremely easy. If you choose to hang in on masonry blocks or bricks, you will need a masonry bit to predrill your holes.
The only issue we had was the length of the leader hose. The hose is only 5’ long. We needed a hose that was at least 6 ft. long. Since the leader hose is not permanently attached to the reel, it was easy to replace.
- Wall mount design
- 180 degree rotation bracket
- Hose is already in the reel
- Any length lock
- Compact housing
- Inspection hatch
- Zero-tangle hose layering
- Spring loaded rewind
- Multi function nozzle is included
- 2-year warranty
- Hose is stiff
- Plastic bracket
- Leader hose is only 5’
We are very pleased with the Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel. It was installed within minutes and ready to use immediately. Since the reel casing is grey, it would fit in with most outdoor decor.
If you are looking for a hose reel, check out the Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable Hose Reel. The hose is already installed on the reel and a multifunction nozzle is included.
Installation of the reel is easy and once you have it hung up; you have a hose ready to use at any time.
If you have a hose that is always lying around cluttering up the yard or garage, you have probably looked at hose reels. A lot of hose reels are flimsy and unstable.
After owning several of these weak reels, we gave up. Now we have the Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel.
Hoses are a necessity when you own a home. But they can be a hassle to work with and store. If you are like us, you put off your projects because you do not want to drag out the hose and untangle it.
With a hose reel, you will always have the hose ready to go whenever you need it. And when you are done, simply crank it back onto the reel.
Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel Specifications:
24.8 pounds (without hose)
Hose Reel Dimensions:
15.95“ x 17.04” x 21.24“
8.625” x 17.375”
Stainless Steel, Brass & Plastic/Rubber
Leader Hose and Reel
If you hate having to dig out your hose every time you need to use it, the Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel may be the solution to your problem. The reel is made from stainless steel and is heavy duty.
The hose reel gives you the ability to have access to your garden hose when you need it. This hose pulls out smoothly. Once you are done, turn the handle to wind the hose back up.
The hose guide system moves back and forth, as you turn the handle. This helps ensure the hose is evenly distributed and does not get tangled. It is a tough hose reel that will make your yard work and gardening easier.
If you need to install the hose reel in the “floor mount” position, you can adjust the angle of the reel by removing 8 screws. The manual only says to loosen one screw, but that does not work.
Instead of leaving ours with the guide system facing upward, we adjusted it, so it is facing to the side. When the guide was facing upward, the hose had to be guided into the reel.
Once we placed it sideways, the hose fed smoothly with no help. The Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel was not the easiest thing to install.
It requires you to drill large holes and insert expansion screws. If you are installing this hose reel on a concrete wall, you will need a masonry drill bit.
We encountered a few minor issues with the Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel. These issues will not keep us from enjoying the hose reel.
- The expansion screws do not get tight enough. We can pull them right out with very little effort. I do not believe this would be a problem if the holes were drilled a little smaller.
However, the instructions said to use a 5/8” drill bit. This is too big. We are going to add a couple more screws to secure the hose reel.
- The expansion screws are huge. Due to their size and weight of the reel, we were unable to hang the hose reel in the intended spot.
- The leader hose is short. If you need to install the hose reel farther than 4.5’ away from the spigot, you will need to purchase a longer leader hose.
- The guide system regulator must be installed on the hose reel. Before it is installed, the switch is tight. After it is installed, and the switch is locked, the switch is loose to the point it seems it can fall off.
- The instruction manual is a little confusing (but aren’t they all).
- Wall mount design
- Metal Handle with Comfort Grip
- Large Capacity
- Stainless Steel Reel & Frame
- Brass Connections
- Lockable House Guide
- 2-year Limited Warranty
- Expansion screws don’t get tight enough
- The switch on the guide system regulator is very loose
- Leader hose is only 4.5’
- Instructions are confusing
We are very happy with the sturdiness of the Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel. It should last for many years. And the design has an industrial look and feel, which we really like.
There is quite a bit of work involved in installing the hose reel. The assembly was a little confusing and the owner’s manual instructions did not help. But with a little thought, it was easy enough to figure out.
If you are looking for a durable hose reel, the Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel Hose Reel, is a well-made tool. It is sturdy and looks as though it will last for many years.
The RL Flo-Master Retractable Hose Reel is equipped with 65 inches reinforced hose, brass fittings, eight nozzle patter, and 66 inches of leader hose.
You can conveniently carry the reel around since it has a handle or mounting hardware if you need to mount it somewhere in your garden.
You also don’t have to worry about removing it from your storage because it isn’t as heavy as other reels that are available in the market today, despite it being a heavy duty equipment.
This retractable hose reel weighs 26.6 in pounds and is manufactured by Root-Lowell Manufacturing Company.
They also have a customer service hotline where you can inquire about the product’s maintenance and part replacements and such.
- With retractable spring loaded with stopper
- Automatic guide avoids the hose from overlapping while it is retracting
- 180-degree swivel is allowed due to the mounting brackets
- It includes a carrying handle
- It gets harder to retract the older the reel gets
- Water pressure is too low to wash off pavements
The Liberty Garden Wall Mounted Hose Reel is perfect for adding style to your garden.
It is coated in a sturdy powder aluminum frame and has flourish spirals. It is also made out of brass fittings and has a hose capacity of 125 foot.
This garden hose reel even has a storage tray on top, which is perfect for your other garden tools.
This garden hose reel includes a 5 inches leader hose which can be at 125 feet of 5/8 inches of hose. It is also fully assembled so you don’t have to worry about doing too much work.
The only thing that you need to worry is attaching the handle and mounting the reel on your wall.
Lastly, the reel is made out of heavy cast aluminum, which makes its materials durable.
- Perfect for home gardening
- Antique finish for a stylish design
- Rotates smoothly
- Can easily be installed on studs behind the wall
- Does not come with mounting hardware
- Brass swivel doesn’t stay put
The Suncast PW100 Automatic Rewind Garden Hose Reel is equipped with a motor, which will let the reel to provide you the convenience that you deserve.
It has a rechargeable battery, so you no longer need to worry about anything at all.
This automatic reel is hydro-powered and has a housing that is attractive enough to become a part of your garden’s design.
Another good thing about the Suncast garden hose reel is that you can easily use it because of the foot pedal function that it has.
You also don’t need to worry about assembling it because it comes fully assembled already. This means that you can start using the hose reel immediately when you get home.
Lastly, you no longer need to worry about untangling it because it is designed to be tangle-free.
- Affordable automatic garden hose reel
- Can neatly be stored
- Strong automatic hose reel
- Attractive design
- Hard to unwind
- Belt is too small; wherein it binds up on the motor pulley during payout
The Rapid Reel Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel can be mounted two different configurations depending on how you want to attach the arm to your wall plate during the process of assembly.
The two types of settings are the parallel and the perpendicular, wherein the parallel is used to pull your hose out on the wall’s side.
The perpendicular on the other hand pulls its hose out straight away from your wall.
This garden hose reel holds up to 150 feet or 5/8 inches. The reel includes a 6 feet long rubber inlet hose with a crush proof brass fitting.
Another good thing about this product is that it has a mounting hardware included, so you no longer have to purchase anything anymore.
The overall hose reel weighs 20.9 in pounds. Its is also made out of metal which makes the reel durable.
- Leak-proof brass swivel
- Cam-lever brake
- Commercial duty inlet hose
- Optional extra capacity kit
- 10 Year warranty
- Lacks a hose guide
- Doesn't have a shelf for the nozzle accessories
Best Garden Hose Reel For 2021
We Hope You Found the Best Garden Hose Reel!
A garden hose reel is a hardworking piece of yard equipment that needs to be durable, easy to use, affordable and provide features that make watering your garden simple and quick.
As always, its best to focus on quality and durability as well as your needs as a gardener. Knowing what flow rate you need matters as well.
With wall-mounted metal hose reels being the best option for sunny gardens and cold climates, and trolley-mounted hose reels being the best option for garage or shed storage in colder climates or for people who don’t want to strain their backs.
We hope our best garden hose reel reviews helped you find the best garden hose reel for your gardening style and your yard, and that it keeps making your gardening easier for many years to come.