If you have plenty of trees in your yard, fall can be a challenging time for seasonal maintenance! It’s very important to keep your gutters clear of leaves, dirt and debris leading up to the winter, as clogging can cause water to back up and damage your home’s structure.
If you have freezing winters, the clogs will cause melted ice and snow to dam up and spill onto your home, leading to foundation and drainage problems.
The easiest solution is to make cleaning your gutters quick and simple, and that means having the right tools. Here are the best gutter cleaners for removing debris, as well as tips for buying the right gutter cleaner for your home.
Why Use a Gutter Cleaner?
Cleaning a gutter is a messy, sweaty, and laborious job. Not only that, it’s also dangerous. There’s a real risk of falling off a ladder, especially when you are trying to wield a bucket, hose, or other ungainly items.
Gutter cleaners allow you to work safely and cleanly, by letting you work off the ground rather than a ladder, loosening clogs and hard packed debris easily, and decreasing your risk of injury and strain.
Different Types of Gutter Cleaners
Here are the most popular types of tools designed for clearing out gutters:
- Gutter cleaning scoop/cleaning spoon – These are small, scooped shovels that allow you to easily lift debris out of the gutter, working with the pipe’s shape to remove as much debris as possible.
These are basic and unfussy tools that are inexpensive and work well, though they do require you to use a ladder and can mean quite a lot of physical labor.
- Telescopic hose wands – If you don’t want to climb a ladder and have a single-story home, this is a great option. It attaches to a standard garden hose and is fully extendible.
This allows you to push it down through gutters and downpipes with ease, flushing out debris, with no need for a ladder.
- Telescoping claw – This is a durable claw device that fits onto a telescoping wand. If you have clogged gutters with hard packed debris, the claw will loosen these with ease.
You’ll have to use a ladder to work, and it’s labor-intensive for most people.
- Pressure washers – Using a special pressure washer gutter attachment, you can use the power of the washer to blast debris out of the gutter and downpipes.
This should give the gutter a good cleaning, removing dirt, mold, slime, and other debris that build up through the year. They are one of the best gutter cleaners for removing debris that are wet or heavy.
- Wet/dry vacuum – These powerful outdoor vacuum systems can be used to suck up debris in your gutter. As kits, they usually have a length of rigid vacuum pipe and a hooked nozzle, allowing you to work from the ground.
They are another one of the best gutter cleaners for removing debris that are wet or heavy.
- Leaf blower – Like the pressure washer, you can get a gutter cleaning attachment for a leaf blower. It’s long enough to use without a ladder and works well on damp and dry leaves. However, it can make a bit of a mess.
What to Consider When Buying a Gutter Cleaner
When shopping for the right gutter cleaner for your home, here’s what to think about before you buy.
- Environment – How heavy is the typical seasonal leaf fall around your home? How often do you have to clean out your gutters? Do you have dry winters or are they wet/snowy?
Typically, dry winter areas and houses with fewer trees around their exterior need a more basic and lightweight solution, while heavy, wet leaf fall requires more power.
- Gutter type – Aluminum gutters are very strong and can be cleaned with any type of gutter cleaner. Vinyl gutters are easier to damage, so it’s better to use a scoop or leaf blower rather than a pressure washer.
Remember, you can check with the manufacturer for cleaning recommendations.
- Reach – How far you can reach is essential when it comes to cleaning gutters quickly as well as thoroughly, so it’s important to find a tool that’s long enough for you and suits the design of your gutters.
A telescoping handle is a very useful feature, as it can be used for people of different heights the most easily.
- Comfort – Are you comfortable using a ladder to reach your gutters? Do you suffer from back pain or struggle to lift heavier items?
If your gutter cleaner is too heavy/ungainly or you don’t have a head for heights, it will be better to choose a tool that is lightweight and works effectively from the ground.
If you are comfortable and secure using a ladder or physically fit, then you can more easily use manual devices or heavier equipment.
- Equipment requirements – Some of these tools require additional equipment to use them. The power washer attachment will need a power washer, and the telescoping options will need a hose pipe.
Think about what equipment you have at home, if you have a way to hire, buy, or borrow additional equipment, and how the tool will fit in with what you have.
Best Gutter Cleaner Reviews
Best Gutter Cleaners 2021
Our Top Pick Gutter Cleaner
Our pick as the best gutter cleaner of 2021 is the Twinkle Star Pressure Washer Extension Wand Set! Although you need to hire or use a pressure washer to get the job done, you won’t look back after this purchase.
Pressure washing allows you to clean gutters from the ground, remove mold, slime, and dirt, and even wash out your gutters with an eco-friendly soap.
This kit is affordable, made of high-quality materials, and easy to connect.
Best Value Gutter Cleaner
If you’re looking for a cheap and cheerful solution that gets the job done, The Gutter Tool - Gutter Cleaning Spoon and Scoop is for you!
Ideal for lighter cleaning jobs where you don’t mind some physical labor, this scoop is great for loosening clogged debris and pulling them out of the gutter.
It delivers a very useful 20-foot reach too, although you will need a ladder to use this tool effectively.
Premium Choice Gutter Cleaner
If you have heavy, wet leaf fall and you want to make your fall chores a lot easier, then it’s worth investing in the Vacmaster Professional - Professional Wet/Dry Vac.
This premium pick is a little bit expensive, but you get a lot of value for your money. It can be used indoors and outdoors, doesn’t require a dust bag, and is easy to clean and use.
It’s powerful, can handle wet and heavy leaves easily, and is ruggedly built.
Make Fall a Time for Fun with the Best Gutter Cleaner of 2021!
Gutter cleaning just isn’t any fun – but it can be quick and simple when you have the right tools. It’s also important, as it helps keep your gutters operational and in good condition, and helps to prevent flooding, leaks, and structural damage to your yard and home.
Remember to consider the type of gutters you have, the type of debris your tool needs to handle, and any necessary equipment you may need to operate your gutter cleaner.
If you have a sore back or don’t enjoy heights, we recommend that you find a lightweight tool you can use with both feet on the ground, helping to make this important seasonal task a lot safer.
We hope this article helped you find the best gutter cleaning equipment for your home!