A lawn edger or what others call an edge trimmer is a gardening tool used to make the edges around plant beds neat and tidy. You may also use it on the lawn, driveway, walkway, patio, or on the street just to remove those disturbing tall grasses.
But how do you choose which one is best for you? In this article, we will cover how to use lawn edgers as well as a review of the best lawn edgers for 2022.
Best Lawn Edgers for 2022
6. Craftsman E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger
7. Truper Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger
8. Ryobi ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
9. Southland Walk Behind Gas Lawn Edger
10. UKOKE Cordless Electric Power Trimmer and Edger
Why Use a Lawn Edger
- Every homeowner likes to keep their garden looking sharp, clean, and fresh all year round. To achieve great results, you need to have a high-quality tool such as having the best lawn edger trimmer.
- Getting the best lawn edger is not as easy a task as others think. There are a lot of models out there on the different websites to choose from but in this article, we are not going to simply show you the best model, rather we went through a lot of different reviews to select only the best lawn edgers for you.
By going through all these top-rated lawn edger reviews, you should be able to select the best that will perfectly fit and be useful for you needs.
How Does a Lawn Edger Work?
The most important step in using your lawn edger is making sure you know how to use it safely because your safety comes above all else.
First, you need to point the edge of the blade between the edge of your sidewalk or driveway and of course the grass. But watch out for trees, and other obstacles when edging.
Then simply follow the line or path that you want to trim. Then dig a slight trench as you go to give your lawn a nice sharp edge.
Types of Lawn Edgers
Manual Lawn Edger
This type has a sharp bladed wheel on the end of a long handle. They are cheap and simple but they can take some effort to use. This manual edger remains a popular choice to people because of its simplicity.
Gas Powered Lawn Edger
This type of edger is the best choice if you have a big space that is too long for an extension cord which you will need if you are to use an electric lawn edger.
Gas power edgers tend to be more expensive than other types of lawn edgers. They have either a four stroke or two stroke engine. However, they are heavier to move and carry around.
This kind of edger requires extra maintenance such as changing of oil, fuel filter and spark plug changes.
Electric Lawn Edger
These models are relatively inexpensive, easier to start than a gas-powered lawn edger, and quieter to use but you may need a long extension cord when using this type of edger.
This is typically lightweight and powerful enough to use at home. Be extra careful not to run over the cord.
Cordless Lawn Edger or Battery Lawn Edger
These models are battery operated. Quite easy to start and you won’t need to keep dragging a cord while using it, however, you might need to charge the battery while in the middle of your task depending on how big your lawn is.
Be sure to consider how big your lawn when choosing the battery capacity of this type of edger.
Are Lawn Edger Worth the Investment?
Is it worth having one? Well, if you want to have a nice landscape and a great clean view on your lawn area, then investing in a lawn edger will certainly be worth your money.
It is essential to keep your lawn trimmed so that your home looks well taken care of. They also tend to be faster than using a trimmer, so you can be easily done in a short period of time. Convenient, right?
Benefits of Lawn Edgers
- Adds more value to your landscape and helps it become more attractive.
- Lawn edger create clean lines between your grass and flowerbeds which prevents grass roots from invading your flowers. And that saves your time.
- It protects your lawn and driveway; Edging encourages people to walk on your walkway and it creates a barrier that will indicate which areas can only be walked on.
Features to Look for When Buying a Lawn Edger
- Construction: Look for an edger that feels solid in your hands and is easy to use. Some lawn edgers require assembly before use; some mower specialist stores will prepare the unit for you so it's ready to use right away.
That is why you need to look for a lawn edger that feels comfortable and easy to use for you.
- Price: If you just have a small lawn you can purchase a cheaper price edger. But if you want some premium quality then you can go for the expensive one.
- Comfort Features: When purchasing some item one of the things to consider is its comfort feature depending on what are your preferences like if it is handy, lightweight or a height-adjustable handle may be useful if you are rather small or tall.
- Blades and Blade Height: Blades are typically made of steel. But after a period, you’ll probably need to buy a new one for the replacement of the blade especially if it always encounters the concrete path.
So, buy a model that lets you buy a replacement blade easily or a model that already has an extra blade when purchasing it.
- Power: Lawn Edger has different power. It has an electric, gas, gas-powered push wheel or electric push wheel.
How to Use a Lawn Edger
- Wear protective clothing: This includes wearing long and thick pants, heavy boots or shoes and some earplugs or anything that can cover up your ears.
You may also want to wear protective eyewear just to protect your eyes in case any grass gets flicked up.
- Make out a path where you want to cut: This will help you keep on track while cutting those edges.
- Turn on your lawn edger: Once you turn on and you have lined it up then walk slowly forward as it cuts.
- Cut it all even: in using a lawn edger you need to cut it all even for it to have a nice and clean outcome.
Best Lawn Edger Reviews
Best Edge Trimmer for 2022
Best Lawn Edger - Our Top Pick
Our top pick lawn edger for 2022 is the Electric Lawn Edger & Trencher w/Turbine 600 Electric Leaf Blower as it is the best seller on the website with a great review.
This edger digs deep and runs quite fast. It is about as powerful as other options on the market. It has 3 different cutting depths and the shaft is adjustable, making it comfortable to use at a variety of different heights.
This edger comes with a reasonable and great price too! And we loved that this tool comes with a 3-year warranty.
So, if you’re the kind of buyer that relies on the top pick and most purchased item then you can try this one out.
Best Value Lawn Edger
The AMES 2917200 Saw-Tooth Border Edger with T-Grip is the best budget choice! If you have a tiny yard or don’t want to spend much at all on an edger, Ames saw tooth edger is best for you!
It is incredibly inexpensive and works well. We liked that it was relatively straightforward to use and makes edging small areas very easy.
Best Premium Lawn Edger
Out of all the edger’s we reviewed, we can easily say that the BLACK+DECKER 2-in-1 Landscape Edger is the best premium choice on the market.
It allows you to adjust the depth and has a reliable cord system. This is a heavy-duty tool that can also be easily converted from edger to trenches in just a second.
It is so easy for operation and built for versatility. And this is a perfect choice for a wide range of home landscaping tasks.
Wrapping Up Our Lawn Edger Buying Guide
When it comes to landscaping areas around your home, creating proper edging is important. Edging provides your yard with a clear definition and it will make your yard look spectacular. So, a lawn edger is a must!
If you have your own lawn edger, you don’t need to hire a landscaper anymore to do your edging for you because doing it by yourself is possible if you choose the right tool to use.
Again, a manual edger will give you a clean and polished look, but it will take a lot of time to finish it. So, a good choice is to purchase a gas, cordless and electric powered lawn edger to do the tough work and that can save you a lot of time and energy.
Our reviews are the best place to go if you need help choosing a better product. Hopefully, this article will help you figure out the best lawn edger to clean up your yard.