If you love living outdoors but don’t want to deal with smoke, ashes and mess, a propane fire pit is an excellent buy! They burn cleanly without soot or smoke, they leave behind no ash and create warm, glowing flames and pleasant heat.
In our buyer’s guide, we’re looking at the best options on the market, so get ready to kick back and relax around the best propane fire pits of 2021.
What to Consider When Buying a Propane Fire Pit
- Type – There are several different types of propane fire pit on the market, including portable models for camping and home use, table models for patios and outdoor home living, and column/squares in different design styles for your patio.
Consider what you want to use your fire pit for to help you decide which type is right for you.
- Heat output – Check the BTUs (British Thermal Units) for the fire pit you’re looking at, as this will tell you how much heat it will output. Most fire pits range between 30,000 and 60,000 BTUs, although they can go higher.
- Ignition system – Propane fire pits can have a manual ignition (start the gas and light is with a match or lighter), spark ignition (push button supplies a spark to light the gas), or an electronic ignition (can be flipping a switch, turning a knob or using a remote).
- Material and build quality – Your fire pit should be made of durable, long-lasting materials that can manage life outdoors, like concrete, alloy steel, or stainless steel.
Make sure it can either withstand very cold winters or is easy to store away if you live in a colder area. It should be sturdy and heavy enough that it will not fall over easily.
- Size and shape – Make sure your fire pit fits well into your outdoor space or patio area and makes a perfect addition to your outdoor BBQ. Generally speaking, 36-inch or smaller fire pits are best for compact spaces, while 36-45 inches is a good all-rounder size.
Decide where you are placing your fire pit and how you are arranging your garden furniture around it. It should be easy to move around it without bumping into it, and it should suit your home’s style.
- Filler – The propane will burn cleanly from an opening, but these openings aren’t very attractive, so it’s worthwhile to consider a decorative filler.
You can choose fire glass or lava rocks to create a beautiful finishing touch.
Types of Propane Fire Pit
There are 3 different styles of firepit on the market suited for different uses.
Propane Fire Pit Tables
These are larger, heavier structures designed for outdoor entertaining. They are usually placed permanently in your outdoor space to provide a warm and stylish focal point for your patio or deck.
Round Propane Fire Pits
These rounded fire pits mimic campfires, and are a great fixture for your patio or outdoor space, providing ambience and warmth as well as a cooking spot in your backyard.
They are usually a bit lighter and easier to move around than the fire tables. Some are lightweight and fully-portable for camping use too.
These are smaller, more compact fire pits and are a great addition to a small patio, balcony or garden, as they don’t take up much space. They tend to emit less heat and light than larger models.
Benefits of an Outdoor Propane Fire Pit
- Clean burning – A high-efficiency outdoor propane fire pit is clean-burning, with no smell or smoke.
- Adjustable – You can instantly adjust the output of your propane fire pit by opening or closing the gas valve, making it stronger for colder nights or cooking, and turning it down when it’s warmer weather.
- Easy to maintain – These pits don’t get stained by soot, they don’t collect ashes, and they require almost no maintenance. All you have to do is check that your valves are properly connected and that the pipes are secure and undamaged.
- Easy to start – All you need to do to start your fire is click a button! There’s no need to mess around with firelighters, twigs and logs, and no worry that it’s going to go out. Some fire pits even switch on using a remote control.
- Safe for you and the environment – A properly installed and maintained fire pit is very safe. There are very few emissions from burning propane, which makes it better for the environment and your lungs.
There’s also no worry of the wind blowing sparks and burning embers to start wildfires.
Best Propane Fire Pit Reviews 2021
Best Propane Fire Pit of 2021
Our Top Pick Propane Fire Pit
We’ve selected the Flame King Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit Bowl as the best propane fire pit for 2021! If you’re looking to spend a little less without compromising on performance.
It has an industrial, modern design and can output an impressive 60,000BTU/HR for cooking or warmth. It’s great for beach trips, camping and home use if you have a smaller outdoor space, and its CSA approved for safety.
Best Value Propane Fire Pit
We’ve selected the Outland Living Firebowl 883 as the best value fire pit for 2021! Offering 58,000BTU/HR while still being lightweight and easy to transport, this fire pit will keep you warm wherever you go.
It is CSA approved and ideal for average-sized patios, camping trips, RV trips and tailgating, and the durable steel build means it will last you many years to come.
It’s a great all-rounder that offers fantastic performance, simple industrial good looks, and reliability – all without breaking the budget.
Premium Choice Propane Fire Pit
If you’re looking to spend a little more, the SereneLife Concrete Outdoor Propane Fire Pit Table is a great choice! This square propane fire table is stylish and modern, with a sleek concrete look.
It has a good-sized ledge for drinks and snacks, and would be an elegant addition to any backyard. The 40,000BTU/HR output is ideal for cooking and warmth, and it’s CSA certified for safety.
It comes as a complete set with lava rocks, is easy to install, and made to last!
Propane Fire Pits FAQs
How Long Will a 20lbs Propane Tank Last?
For the average fire pit, this will last 4-4.5 hours on maximum output, and 8-9 hours at a moderate output. Gas consumption will depend on the size of your fire pit, how hot you are burning it, and the BTUs of the fire pit itself.
How Close Can a Fire Pit Be to a House?
For safety reasons, your outdoor propane fire pit should be placed 10 feet away from any flammable structures, including your home, your neighbor’s home, wooden fences, and shrubbery.
Keep it under clear skies or a high patio ceiling, away from low-hanging tree branches or other flammable items.
How Do You Clean a Propane Fire Pit?
Take warm, soapy water and use a damp cloth to wipe down the fire pit. When cleaning a fire pit, clean the burner and the edges, especially if it is used for holding drinks or food.
Can a Propane Fire Pit Get Wet?
Ideally, your propane fire pit should be stored or covered in wet or snowy weather. This will protect the metal mechanisms from corrosion, and stop moisture from getting into the burners.
Can I Use a Propane Fire Pit on a Deck?
Propane fire pits are spark and ember-free, so they are safer than wood fire pits for composite or wooden decks. However, it is important to never leave it lit and unattended, or near flammable items on the deck.
For more fire pit options, check out our Top 10 Best Fire Pits for 2021.
Enjoy Smoke-Free Warmth from the Best Propane Fire Pits of 2021!
We love the outdoors, and we hope this article helps you find the ideal fire pit for your home or travels, helping you spend more time in nature through the seasons.
Remember to think about whether you want a fixed or portable fire pit, to consider the heat output for cooking or larger spaces, and to always make sure your unit is CSA approved for safety and use during most fire bans. We hope you enjoy your pick of the best propane fire pits around!