Are you in the market for the best trimmer line? Keeping your lawn pristine requires using a trimmer to knock down the annoying weeds.
There are so many great trimmers available, and you only need one of them to get the job done! Picking the best string trimmer is more than just picking a spool off of the shelf at the store.
In this article, you will learn what to consider when buying a strimmer line as well our review of the best trimmer line available on the market.
Best Trimmer Line for 2023
Things to Consider When Choosing a Trimmer Line
The shape and diameter of the line help to determine how quickly and efficiently you cut down weeds. There is a large variety of shapes and diameters; some are for lighter or heavier jobs.
You need to think about the size of your yard and the needed job. A thick, heavily weeded area needs a different trimmer line than the type weeds around your flower beds. You want a clean, even cut so finding the right line is important.
String Trimmer Line Styles
Round Trimmer line
If you are using your string trimmer for grass edges or weed removal, a round string trimmer line is the basic shape available in the stores.
It doesn’t wear down very quickly, and it’s designed for lighter, residential use. It doesn’t frequently break, even if it hits against concrete and other objects. Round line is easy to replace.
Multi-Sided Trimmer Line
For those who have thick weeds or a huge yard, you may want to consider a multi-sided trimmer line. They are also good for commercial use.
They are perfect for medium sized jobs with heavier weeds. One of the best reasons to use the multi-sided is that it gives a clean cut every time.
You will also be amazed at how fast it knocks down thick weeds. It will save you tons of time.
Serrated Trimmer Line
If your property has an enormous amount of weeds or you trim yards professionally, serrated trimmer line is for large jobs.
You can think about it like teeth or a kitchen knife. The serrated edges saw through nearly everything!
Twister Trimmer Line
Twisted line is for thick, heavy weeds or rugged commercial use. It is for heavy duty use. You can knock down heavy and thick weeds.
Twisted line is strong and efficient. It also isn’t as loud as other lines and produces less trimmer vibrations.
Square Trimmer Line
This type of string trimmer line is perfect for cutting down the thick weeds. It is big and thick, knocking down anything standing in your way.
If you hit trees or rocks, the line won’t notice. Clearly, this choice isn’t ideal for light jobs. It is created for big jobs and landscapers.
Strimmer Line Diameter
Before you make your purchase, you also need to consider the line weight and diameter.
Light Work for Residential Lawns
residential lawns with common, light weeds. Light duty line is perfect for trimming weeds after cutting grass. Lighter line is also typically less expensive than other industrial lines.
- Diameter needed is 0.065 inches to 0.080 inches.
Medium Work for Larger Residential Lawns
good for larger residential lawns or gardens with heavier weeds. You could also purchase medium duty line for light commercial use.
It is more expensive than the lighter duty, but it won’t break as easily if you come in contact with thick weeks. They make your task just a bit easier.
- Diameter needed is 0.085 to 0.105 inches.
Heavy Work for Industrial Landscaping or Gigantic Yards
Heavy duty is perfect for areas with a lot of trimming. If you have a lot of tough weeds and you might be trimming for what feels like forever, heavy duty line can withstand the toughest jobs.
Professional landscapers should use these strong lines; you can power through anything like butter!
- Diameter needed is 0.110+ inches
Materials Used for the Trimmer Line
The last thing that you should look for is the material used!
Are the standard you find in the stores. They are hardened, synthetic string that works for nearly any situation. If you find it in your ideal shape and diameter, nylon is a great line.
Are newer development in the trimming world. The cutting power is superior to nylon. As imagined, titanium does cost more and can be overkill.
Most situations don’t require it. However, heavy duty jobs may go smoother with titanium!
String Trimmer Line Build and Design
Randomly getting a line won’t always do you any good, especially since trimmers are built and designed in their different ways.
With that in mind, here are a few tips on buying string trimmer line.
1. String Trimmer Line Storage
One of the most important things to remember is that string trimmer line needs to have a good storage place. This product should not be directly exposed to the sun.
A string trimmer line exposed to UV rays will make it prone to breaking. When you’re not using it, it’s best to keep it in a cool area.
2. Trimmer Line Limitations
A commercial-grade string trimmer line can deal with solid obstacles such as weeds and even pesky rocks. However, even high-quality trimmer line can turn brittle if it spends too much time out in the sun.
Of course, it’s not only long-term exposure to the sun that affects a string trimmer line. If you forcibly attempt to get more of the line using the bump feed, both the trimmer and the trimmer head handling the line will be more prone to wear and tear.
3. Weight of Strimmer Line
Not all string trimmer lines have the same weight. Some of the heavy-duty lines are relatively thicker and sturdier than their counterparts. Of course, this adds a little more weight to the trimmer itself.
If you do not want to feel a significant strain on your back, you can opt to get a lightweight trimmer with a light yet efficient string trimmer line.
4. Choosing the Color
The color of the string trimmer line won’t always matter to everyone, but you can always experiment with it to suit your preference. A line will come in many shapes and sizes, so operators will surely find the right one for them.
In particular, many people prefer to get dark-colored or green string trimmer lines because the broken parts falling down the grass aren’t visually unappealing.
There are even string trimmer lines featuring two colors:
5. Trimmer Line Installation Method
This might seem obvious, but there are people who make the mistake of getting a string trimmer line that isn’t actually compatible with the trimmer itself. Thus, it is important to check the user manual to avoid a simple yet costly error.
Knowing whether the two are compatible can be identified by simply looking at the trimmer head. A fixed head trimmer is specifically designed to work with pre-cut trimmer string lines. This trimmer line is characterized by its relatively short length.
On the other hand, you should get a spooled cutting line if the trimmer head has the bump feed and twist feed system.
Overall, the type of string trimmer line you buy is influenced by several factors including your storage area, personal design preference, and whether it’s compatible with the trimmer itself.
Best String Trimmer Line Reviews
3. Weed Eater 952701681 Bulk Round String Trimmer Line
Yard owners everywhere love the Weed Eater brand. It is reasonably priced and affordable for everyone. This line is perfect for residential users.
- The line is round and 0.08 inches in diameter.
- You can use the Weed Eater Round String with almost any model of string trimmer.
It isn’t heavy so that it won’t bog down your trimmer. This line works well with the auto-feed feature.
- The line is perfect for small maintenance jobs, such as your yard after you cut grass.
- Installing the line is very easy. The smooth design always puts out the right string amount.
- The price makes the Weed Eater line a great value.
- This trimmer line won’t hold up against hard surfaces. If you hit it against rocks or concrete, it will damage the line.
- You shouldn’t use it with heavy or thick weeds.
- Sometimes, you may notice the line frays at the ends.
4. Lonoiz Commercial Grade Spiral Twist Quiet Trimmer Line
It won’t break when hitting hard surfaces, but at the same time, it doesn’t damage things like the siding of your house if you hit it accidentally.
- Lonoiz line has a noise reduction design that lets you run it for an extended period in densely populated areas.
You won’t drive your neighbors crazy. It is also perfect for landscapers who don’t want to bother their customers.
- It is an ideal, alternative live for clean-up of your property. You have to make sure your trimmer can handle the additional weight and the size of the line.
- The line is a spiral shape, .130 inch in diameter.
- The Lonoiz is a great choice for anyone who needs a strong trimmer line. The design is tough and durable.
- It is a very thick line, not meant for all jobs.
- The cut won’t be as clean as other diameters and shapes.
5. Husqvarna Titanium Force String Trimmer Line
Everyone knows the brand Husqvarna. They make a huge assortment of lawn care products. This string trimmer line is one of their best sellers.
- The line is round, smooth and measures .095 inches in diameter.
- It accelerates fast, has a good balance and requires less fuel than another line.
- In comparison to another trimmer line, the Titanium Force is quieter, but it still has the power to cut through a variety of materials.
- It wears down slowly and will last longer than many other lines on the market. This reason is one of the main reasons people love it.
- You can use it with most standard trimmer heads.
- It is not suitable for professional models of trimmers, and it is not designed for commercial work.
- When compared to the amount of line you get, it is more expensive.
Best Weed Trimmer Line
These are five of the best string trimmer line options on the market. They all are superb for the job they are made for, but only one is the right one for you.
Out of the five, the best choice is the Gatorline by Oregon. Even though it is unforgiving if you hit something, the square shape provides a clean cut, and it can power through a variety of weeds.
However, the line diameter isn’t too thick that it doesn’t work with most standard trimmers.
Do you have a favorite string trimmer line? Let us know in the comments!