Mowing the lawn isn’t everyone’s favorite task – it’s time-consuming and repetitive, even if you have one of those riding mowers. So, it’s no surprise to see that robot lawn mowers are becoming a popular, must-have gardening tool!
Here are our reviews of the best robot lawn mowers on the market, as well as what to consider when buying one, whether or not it’s the right mower for you, and much more.
Best Robot Lawn Mowers Product Chart
1. Worx LANDROID WR155 1/2-Acre Cordless Robotic Mower
2. GARDENA SILENO Minimo - Robotic Lawnmower
3. Husqvarna Automower 430XH Robotic Lawn Mower
4. Worx WR147 Landroid M 1/4 Acre Robotic Lawn Mower
5. Husqvarna 115H Automower
6. Stihl RMI 422 PC-L Connected iMow
7. Honda Miimo HRM520 Robotic Mower
8. MOWRO RM24 Robotic Lawn Mower
9. Honda Miimo HRM310 Robotic Lawnmower
10. Robomow RC306 Robotic Lawn Mower
These are electric lawn mowers powered by rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. They are fully automatic, and when the battery power runs low, they make their way back to the charging station on their own.
They run on very little electricity, emit no fumes and are very efficient, making them a great eco-friendly choice for maintaining your lawn.
You contain them to your lawn using a low-voltage wire that is set around the perimeter, and this will stop the mower from wandering off out of your property.
You can use this wire to cordon off other hazards like flower beds, patios, delicate shrubs, swimming pools and ponds.
These machines use sensor technology to detect obstacles in their path, stopping and changing direction when a tree or rock is ahead of them.
Why Buy a Robotic Lawn Mower?
There are plenty of great reasons to buy a robot lawn mower!
- It saves time – You no longer have to allocate your morning to the time-consuming job of mowing the lawn yourself, which means you get your weekend back.
You can also schedule when your mower will work, so the grass gets cut while you’re at work and is ready to enjoy when you get home.
- They deliver great results – Robotic mowers work continuously, so your lawn is always trimmed to the right height. Using an ordinary mower, you might trim the grass every one to two weeks, which means it gets long, leggy and overgrown before it is cut back severely, which can lead it to dying off or getting burned, especially in the growing season.
Continuous mowing each and every day means a healthier, thicker lawn for you to enjoy.
- Easy to use – Robotic mowers are electric, using rechargeable battery packs to provide power. This means no maintenance, no need to fetch and store fuel and oil, and no costly services.
Some even have apps that you can use to control your lawn robot on your smartphone while you relax!
- Eco-friendly and quiet – Because they use electricity, they run very quietly and emit no fumes, so your neighbors and your environment will thank you.
- No grass clippings – Because the mower clips continuously, the clippings are so small that they drop down into the grass, supplying your lawn with nutritious mulch, keeping your lawn neat and solving the issue of dealing with grass clippings all at the same time.
- Affordable – Robotic lawn mowers aren’t cheap to buy, but they are more affordable to run than gas lawn mowers over the long term.
That’s because you don’t have to pay for fuel, servicing or maintenance.
Do Robot Lawn Mowers Really Work?
Yes! On an everyday, average or small-sized lawn, a robot lawn mower is very effective – even when it’s only used a few times a week. The tiny clippings provide mulch for your lawn and ensure your lawn is kept tidy and at the perfect height all the time.
However, if you have a very large property or very dense grass or weeds, we’d suggest you use a more powerful petrol mower to cut the lawn into shape, level and under control.
Once it’s established, your robot mower can take over for everyday trimming.
How Long Do Robotic Lawn Mowers Last?
This depends on the quality of the product you buy. However, most leading manufacturers agree that a robot lawn mower will last about 10 years – around the same amount of time as a gas or electric lawn mower.
Can I Use a Robotic Lawn Mower on Hills or Uneven Ground?
These mowers work best on flat, even surfaces, so it’s a good idea to prepare your lawn before you buy one. Most manufacturers say that their mowers will operate on slopes of up to 35%, or up to 15-20 degrees.
What to Consider When Buying a Robot Lawn Mower
As with every gardening tool, there are several things to consider when buying a robot mower that will help you find the right machine for your lawn.
- Lawn size and battery capacity – The larger your lawn, the more often your mower will have to charge before it can complete its job, so be sure to check the battery capacity and manufacturer recommendations regarding lawn size.
Entry-level machines are really only suited to smaller lawns, but there are more advanced robot lawn mowers for much larger lawns.
- Lawn gradients – More powerful motors are needed for steeper gradients, and if you buy an underpowered robot lawn mower, it’s going to struggle to mow any slopes.
Here’s a guide on how to calculate the slope of your lawn so you can check the results against manufacturer recommendations.
- Safety features – These mowers are designed to be very safe, and some great safety features to look for include lift and tilt sensors that stop the cutting action and recessed cutting blades. This makes them much more pet and child-safe.
- Controls – Look for mowers that have a control panel where you can adjust everything from cutting height and cutting schedule.
Another great feature is Wi-Fi capability, which allows you to control the mower through a smartphone app. Weather sensors are another great addition, preventing the mower from cutting grass in wet or rainy weather.
- Weather protection – Because they work automatically, it’s important that they have good weather and dust protection. However, it is usually a good idea to store it in a shed or garage during severe storms, snow or freezing conditions.
- Security – To keep your mower secure, stop unauthorized people from changing the settings or prevent it from getting lost or stolen, choose one with good security features.
This includes PIN code locks, alarms and GPS tracker functions.
Best Robot Lawnmower Reviews
Robot Lawn Mower Top Picks for 2023
Top Rated Robot Lawn Mower
Worx have taken the robotic lawn mower game by storm lately, blowing every other brand out of the water with their Landroid series.
Worx LANDROID 1/2-Acre Cordless Robotic Mower is really well priced too, so you can get mowers capable of managing full ½ acre sites for the same price as some mowers that can barely manage ¼ acre.
Their smart sensors, automatic controls, and easy to set up security features mean they’re perfect for front gardens too, as anyone trying to steal them will quickly find out they’re locked to one user.
Most importantly, Worx Landroids make really neat cuts, and you’d be hard pushed to find a push mower that cuts neater lawns.
Best Value Robot Lawn Mower
Gardena’s Sileno Minimo is a small robotic lawn mower designed specifically for small spaces. It’s less capable and less flashy than some of the bigger brands, but it’s more than capable of managing small gardens and costs less than half the price of even the next most expensive brand so is perfect for gardeners on a budget.
Without a doubt, the Gardena is the best robotic lawn mower for small gardens in 2023.
Premium Choice Robot Lawn Mower
For gardeners with really large lawns to care for, the Husqvarna Automower 430XH is the only mower on the market that can handle 0.8 acres per week, or 0.03 acres on a single charge, with a run time per-charge of 145 minutes, which outperforms any other robotic lawn mower for acreage alone.
Husqvarna has always made great lawn care products, but this is in another league. The only downside is that for this sort of quality, you need to pay for it!
Install the Best Robot Lawn Mower
Make your weekends yours again with a feature-rich, powerful robotic lawn mower that takes this time-consuming chore off your hands for good.
Eco-friendly, quiet and fully automatic, these compact machines are the perfect choice for small to medium sized lawns.
When buying a robot lawn mower, remember that you may have to prepare your lawn by reducing bumps and ditches the mower can get stuck in.
Look for a machine that is built for your size lawn and gradient, that has safety features and anti-collision control, and offers custom settings that you can input via the control panel or an app.
Get ready to enjoy mowing the lawn again when you have the best robot lawn mower!