Are you wondering on how to deal with white fuzzy bugs on plants? Do you know what these white fuzzy bugs are? If you haven’t noticed, these bugs are the ones that usually appear during warmer climates.
If you are like me who is wondering on how to deal with these bugs, then reading the information below will surely give you and I the solutions that we need.
What are These White Fuzzy Bugs
These white fuzzy bugs are called mealybugs (Scientific name - Pseudococcidae), which have soft bodies and they are insects that are wingless. They typically look like cotton that are attached to the leaves, fruits, and even the stems of the plants.
These white fuzzy bugs usually feed using their mouthparts called the stylets. These stylets will be inserted to the plants to get the sap out of the plants’ tissues.
These bugs, if not prevented early, can eventually damage the leaves and the entire plants. Of course, we don’t want this to happen to our beloved plants, which is why doing something about this plant problem is essential for us to save the life of our plants and to prolong it as well.
12 Ways on Dealing with these White Fuzzy Bugs - Mealybugs
Below are some of the useful tips on how you can effectively deal with these bugs from pestering your plants.
Controlling Mealybugs the White Fuzzy Bugs on your plants
- Using a rubbing alcohol and Q-tip, dipped it in the alcohol and dab the plants where the mealybugs usually appear, as this will lessen the infestation of the insects to the plants.
- Avoid over fertilizing or over watering the plants, as plants which have soft growth and high nitrogen can attract mealybugs.
- Use a Destroyer of Mealybug from Amazon, which is effective in preventing these white fuzzy bugs from invading your plants. Learn about bugs instead of pesticides.
- Use a Bug Blaster together with a stream of water as these two will help lessen the numbers of pests. It would also be best to wash the leaves using the leaf shine as this will discourage the pests from infesting the plants.
- Use an insecticide soap, to make a soap spray for controlling mealybugs on plants, mix 2 teaspoons of mild liquid dish detergent in 1 quart of water. This will help damage the insects’ outer shells, which will then cause dehydration and eventually death after a few hours.
- For intolerable pest, using a natural pesticide is essential.
- To lessen future infection, it would be essential to wash the foliage of the plants regularly.
Removing the White Fuzzy Bugs on Plants
The following steps will help you to effectively remove these white fuzzy bugs that can ruin your plants. Following these steps will give you an idea on how you can easily do it without the need of asking for a professional’s help.
Step 1: Using Tweezers
The first thing that you need to do is to use a tweezer to remove the bugs out of the plants. Typically you can find these bugs where the stems and the leaves meet. There are also instances wherein these bugs will crawl through the pots or through the leaves’ sides.
Collect all the bugs in a container and pour a hot boiling water. You may also use your fingers to squeeze these bugs.
Step 2: Cotton and Isopropyl Alcohol
Using a cotton, dip a piece in an isopropyl alcohol and start wiping the leaves with it. If you see some bugs on the leaves, it would also be best to dab them with the cotton soaked with alcohol.
The alcohol will help remove the sticky substance that the bugs left behind. Of course, the alcohol will also help kill all the bugs.
Step 3: Spraying with Water
Using a forceful hose, spray the leaves with it as the water can help remove the bugs’ eggs from the leaves.
Spray each and every leaf on your plants to ensure that you get rid of the white fuzzy bugs.
After spraying it with water, clean the leaves using the isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Spraying with Pesticide or Neem Oil
Spray the leaves using a pesticide or neem oil as they will suffocate the white fuzzy bugs from the leaves. The best thing to do is to ensure that you are spraying the product on the top side of the leaves and to the underside.
It would also be ideal to spray it around the pot as this will kill them even if they are attempting to crawl out of the plants.
Typically, most pesticides can be sprayed on the leaf itself but it would always be best to read the instructions first to ensure that you are doing the right thing.
Step 5: Discarding the Plant
Now there are instances wherein the plant can no longer be saved. You’ll know this when the problem seems to just continue to occur or the problem seems to worsen.
It would be best to discard the plant as there is a high possibility that the bugs will transfer to other things, such as carpets, shelves, and even on the floor boards.
These are the 12 ways on how to deal with white fuzzy bugs on plants effectively. You don’t have to call any professional gardener just to get rid of these bugs, because you can actually do this on your own by doing the simple yet effective steps above.
Now with these steps, we no longer have to worry about anything at all when it come to bugs pestering our beautiful and healthy plants.
Did you enjoy this tutorial on how to get rid of these bugs on your plants? Then feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below. You may also hit share so you and I can help people like us who are having the same dilemma with their plants.