Pressure washers, also called power washers, make cleaning off heavy dirt and grime easy, making dirty jobs simpler, faster and even fun.
In our buyer’s guide, we’ll review the best electric pressure washers on the market, as well as safety tips, buying tips and advice on how to use and maintain your equipment.
What is an Electric Pressure Washer?
It is a fairly simple machine! Essentially, it’s a water pump that takes in water from your expandable hose pipe and blasts it out of a pressure washer wand at about 1300-1500 pounds of pressure per square inch (PSI), using about 1.4 gallons of water per minute (GPM).
Most electric pressure washers have a pressure gauge so you can adjust it for different surfaces, allowing you to scrub away stains and stubborn grime that soap, water and scrubbing won’t clean.
Why Buy a High Pressure Washer?
If you want to keep your home, property and vehicle in great shape, then it’s time to think about buying a power washer. Here are some of the jobs these powerful cleaning machines can tackle with ease.
- Decking and patios – Clean moss, dirt, leaves, mold and spills off your decking and patios.
- Driveways, garage floors and paving – Clean paving until it looks as good as new, even removing sticky messes, mold and stains from motor oil.
- Vehicles – Give your car a professional car wash right at home. The low pressure setting is ideal for cleaning engines too. These washers are also useful for cleaning trailers, boats and bicycles.
- Gutters – Clear sticks, leaves, mold and dirt out of gutters and downpipes, making fall and summer maintenance easy.
- Grills – Clean sticky marinades, oil and residue off your grill without getting your hands dirty.
- Outdoor furniture – Wash down outdoor furniture to leave it looking as good as new.
- Fencing and walls – Clean fencing to keep it looking great, to remove moss and dirt, and to get it ready for painting and repairs.
Will an Electric Pressure Washer Clean Concrete?
Yes – if your pressure washer can produce 1,300-2,300PSI, it can easily clean concrete. The more powerful your electric power washer is, the more effective it’s cleaning power.
What Size Pressure Washer Do I Need to Strip Paint?
A high pressure washer can make the tedious job of stripping paint quick and painless, but you need a powerful machine.
Look for a unit that offers about 3,000PSI. To make this job easier, remember to use a small angle nozzle/tip.
What Size Pressure Washer Do I Need to Clean a House?
Cleaning a house with a pressure washer is easy and effective. You’ll need a high pressure washer that offers 2,500-3,000PSI to clean vinyl siding, stone, brick or steel.
What Size Pressure Washer Do I Need to Clean Paving, Pavers and Paths?
Very high pressure washers can damage paving and paths, so you’ll need a more gentle setting of around 1,000-1,500PSI in order to clean it properly.
This is also the recommended setting for mortared flagstones and tiled patios. You can also use a wider angled nozzle/tip to create a gentler spray.
Benefits of Electric Pressure Washers
You can get both gas powered and electric power washers. While electric power washers are limited by their cord length and your hose reel, there are a lot of advantages to using this type of power washer.
- Powerful – These motors are powerful enough to take on any household job easily.
- Simple to use – All you have to do is plug your power washer into an outlet and you are ready to go. There’s no need to buy or mix fuels, and it will keep running as long as you have power.
- Maintenance-free – Electric high pressure washers require minimal maintenance compared to gas pressure washers.
- Lightweight – Electric power washers weigh a lot less than gas pressure washers, which have heavier engines and have the additional weight of the fuel tank.
- Quiet operation – These pressure washers run fairly quietly, emitting about the same amount of noise as a washing machine, so they are ideal for home use.
Gas power washers emit about 100 decibels of noise compared to the 78 decibels of the electric pressure washer.
- More eco-friendly – Electric power washers are emission-free and don’t create any by-products that are harmful to the environment. No fuel or oil also means no harmful spills either.
- More affordable – Electric high pressure washers are also cheaper to buy than their gas-powered counterparts.
Are Electric Pressure Washers Any Good?
A good quality electric pressure washer will be able to take on any typical household cleaning job with ease, from washing fencing and decking to cleaning vehicles and driveways.
Gas power washers are generally more powerful, but these are primarily used for businesses.
Can I Use an Extension Cord With an Electric Pressure Washer?
Yes, but you have to follow safety guidelines. The extension cord has to be rated high enough for the high pressure washer, and the connection must be kept away from any moisture.
Choosing the Best Electric Pressure Washer
If you’re looking to buy an electric power washer, here are some features to consider.
- Hot or cold – Most power washers use cold water from your hose, but some can heat the water to over 300 degrees Fahrenheit to remove especially stubborn stains even faster.
Usually used in industrial settings, you need to be careful to avoid burning yourself or harming plants in your yard when using a heated pressure washer.
- Soap – Good quality power washers will have a dispenser for detergent, which helps to break down oil and dirt for fast removal and hygienic cleaning.
It’s best to use an eco-friendly detergent when using this feature so you don’t harm plants in your garden or the environment.
- Pressure – You’ll need a power washer that produces enough pressure to get the job done, so look for one with a good range. For washing vehicles, 1200-1400PSI is ideal.
For cleaning driveways and vinyl siding, a more powerful unit of 2200-3500PSI will get the job done. A pressure washer with 1500-2000PSI will cover almost every household need.
- Pump drive - The type that you will choose will depend on how often you are going to use the machine to clean outdoors. For light to medium household cleaning, the best power washer would be one with a direct drive.
They are cheaper too. For regular heavy duty cleaning and business use, we recommend a pressure washer with a belt drive, because it is more durable.
Here’s an informative video with more tips on how to choose the best electric pressure washer.
Top 11 Best Pressure Washer Machines in 2021 Reviewed
Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Joe 2030 PSI 1.76 GPM can help you clean lawn equipment, patios, driveways, decks, boats, trucks, cars, buildings, and homes.
This machine is equipped with a 14.5 amp motor, a PSI of 2030 and a 1.76 GMP of water to ensure a maximum cleaning performance.
It also has removable tanks system for your detergent, wherein it can store two kinds of detergent. This means that you can conveniently switch from not detergent from another.
The Sun Joe electric pressure washer also features a safety lock switch, wherein the pump can shut off automatically when the trigger isn’t engaged.
This will help to save more energy and prolong the life of the pump.
This electric washer pressure comes with different accessories like the removable detergent tanks, extension wand, foot power cord, high-pressure hose, hose adapter and 5 tips of connecting spray.
- Light in weight
- Works quietly
- Easy to use
- Wand’s length is too short
- Front hose can become leaky
Generac 6602 OneWash 3,100 PSI 2.8 GPM features a powerful and large engine.
It is composed of a PowerDial that is innovative, which can provide a control at the dial’s turn for you to be able to adjust quickly the spray’s intensity.
This will help you clean different surfaces with just one control.
Another good thing about this machine is the compactness that it has because it can help you to save more space in your garage once you store the electric press washer.
This also means that you can also transport it easily.
The Generac electric pressure washer is equipped with a 3.4 integrated gallon tank with a draining plug, which will provide storage for your cleaning detergents.
The good thing about this is that you can quickly empty and clean the tank using your garden hose.
If you are going to connect a hose, you no longer have to kneel down on the ground since the machine features a hose connection that can easily be accessed.
- Compact in size
- Heads have customizable wand
- Wheels can get damaged
- Wheels not ideal for terrains that are rough
Simpson Cleaning MSH3125-S 3,100 PSI 2.5 GPM can create more pressure and power that will surely help you with your cleaning tasks.
It is equipped with an engine from Honda CG190, which will provide you the power and an Axial Cam Pump, which will give you the pressure that you need for cleaning.
The machine also has 10 inches of tires that will let you carry every single thing that you want.
The Simpson pressure washer is equipped with five types of nozzles, which are the 0, 15, 20, and 40 degrees and a tip.
Another good thing about this is that the spray gun which has a safety lockout to ensure that there will be no accidents and such.
Lastly, the OHC premium engine is composts of components that are high in quality, which will provide you with a performance that you deserve.
- Fuel tank is amiable
- Have five nozzles
- Size is very convenient
- Two-year warranty for the Honda engine
- One year warranty for the pump
- 90 days warranty on spray
- No detergent tank
- Some parts are missing upon shipment
This 1800W electric pressure washer is ideal for washing cars, siding, fences, paving and more, offering plenty of power to clear away debris, dirt, stains and oil.
It has a very effective anti-leak system and is IPX5 rated for waterproof performance. Well-built and durable, it’s built to last and perform well in tough conditions.
- Good manufacturing quality
- 33 ft cable and 16ft hose
- IPX5 waterproofing
- All-in-one nozzle
- Safety Total Stop System (TSS)
- Built-in storage compartments
- Ergonomic handle
- Slightly heavier than competitors
Offering 1600W of power, this pressure washer generates an impressive 3000PSI/2.4GM. Ideal for home use, it can clear away tough dirt and stains easily thanks to its high-pressure foam cannon.
It has a Total Stop System (TSS) and leak-proof connections for safety, is affordably-priced, and built to last.
- 2-year warranty
- 33 ft power cord with inline GFCI
- 4 Quick-Connect spray tips and metal rod
- Safety lock switch
- Weighs 18.76lbs
- Recessed hose fitting can be difficult to tighten
This electric pressure washer uses a 1800W motor to generate up to 3500 psi/2.6 GPM, heating water to a maximum of 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
The different attachments include 0º, 15º, 25º, and 40º nozzles to tackle light, medium and heavy duty cleaning tasks with ease, and it has a Total Stop System (TSS) and GFCI protection for safety.
It’s ideal for use on RVs and vehicles as well as wooden fencing, washing floors, cleaning outdoor furniture and cleaning boats.
- 4 nozzles and foam cannon
- IPX5 waterproof
- Easy to store
- Upgraded leak-proof connections
- 2 year warranty
- A bit more expensive than competitors
This 1600PSI/1.36GPM entry level electric pressure washer comes from a well-known pressure washer brand, ensuring great performance and build quality in a compact piece of equipment.
It sets up quickly, is very lightweight at 10.6lbs, and is easy to transport. It uses a DirtBlaster wand for targeted cleaning, and can tackle small to medium jobs with ease, such as washing off outdoor furniture, cleaning gutters, and washing vehicles.
- 25-foot hose
- Easy to use
- Affordably priced
- 3-year warranty
- Very easy to store and transport
- Entry-level - May struggle with very tough jobs
Another good lightweight option is this model from Sun Joe. The SPX100 is entry-level, offering 1450PS/1.45GPM and weighing 11.7lbs.
It’s easy to carry, store and transport, and is best-suited to lighter, everyday jobs such as cleaning pathways, vehicles, siding, and decking.
The 33-inch wand comes with an adjustable nozzle so you can easily adjust the spray pressure without swapping out nozzles, and it has a Total Stop System for safety.
- Adjustable spray wand with twist nozzle (0º to 45º)
- Total Stop System for safety
- Easy to set up
- Very affordable
- Full 2-year warranty
- CSA listed
- Entry-level - May struggle with very tough jobs
If you want a lot of power in a smaller package, this electric pressure washer is a great option. Offering 250PSI/1.76GPM, it weighs 19lbs but offers commercial-level cleaning performance.
It has a durable carbon brush motor, adjustable pressure, and 4 nozzles (including a soap applicator) between 0º to 25º.
This is a great machine for heavy-duty work, and it can remove rust, mud, tar, grease, oil and mildew with ease.
- Adjustable pressure wand with nozzles (0º to 25º)
- Stable wide wheel base
- Quick-lock wheels
- Easy-coil 25-foot hose
- Easy to assemble
- Suited to tough cleaning jobs
- Onboard detergent tank
- May be a bit heavy for some
GreenWorks GPW1702 13 amp 1700 PSI 1.2 GPM will surely help remove all sorts of dirt from your fence, driveway, patio, motorcycle, RV, and car.
This machine doesn’t necessarily need higher powered electricity which means that you can use the 120 volts power that you usually have at home.
This electric pressure washer is consist of an axial cam, which you can easily connect the hose HP. Also, you can use the machine horizontally or vertically, since it is known to have good stability.
The GreenWorks electric pressure washer also provides a higher pressured hose that measures twenty foot, which can easily be connected at the spray gun’s rear side.
The cord’s length measures thirty-five foot and is made out of GFCI plus, so you no longer have to worry about working on a ground that is wet.
Lastly, the wheels are made out of plastic, which will give you a maximum maneuverability.
- Uses a universal engine to provide a 1700 PSI
- Comes with different types of nozzle for all sorts of surfaces
- Creates less noise
- Light in weight
- Problem with the box upon arrival
- Handle is sometimes broken upon arrival
Ivation Electric Pressure Washer 2200 PSI 1.8 GPM is carefully designed for versatility, for you to be able to perform a cleansing task that is diverse for your lawn equipment, patio, vehicle, and others.
The 2200 PSI will help you to clean different types of surface, so you no longer have to worry about anything at all.
It also features an auto shutoff pump, which will turn the machine off once you are no longer using it.
The Ivation electric pressure washer is consists of five interchangeable nozzles, a tap damager, and a gun hose, which can all be setup easily.
If you don’t have a garden hose at home, worry no more since the machine features a self-suction, which can help enable a standing water.
- Five interchangeable options
- Works effortlessly which can help you save time
- Has a soap dispenser
- Not so user-friendly
What's More Important PSI or GPM?
Both PSI and GPM are important to consider when buying a high pressure washer. PSI determines how effectively the washer will be able to dislodge grime and stains, while GPM determines how quickly it can wash the dislodged dirt away.
Generally, you would need a higher PSI unit if you are removing very tough stains, mold and grime, while a higher GPM will make washing a driveway or paving clean faster.
How to Use Your Portable Pressure Washer
To use your pressure washer safely, be sure to wear appropriate safety gear including safety goggles, ear protection (if needed) and sturdy shoes.
Remember that the jet of water is highly pressurized and can injure a person or pet, so keep children and animals away from where you are working. Never point a pressure washer at anyone under any circumstances.
To use your pressure washer:
- Connect your garden hose to the hose connection
- Add detergent, if needed, according to manufacturer instructions
- Plug in your pressure washer to an outlet. Do not use your pressure washer if the cord or plug is damaged.
- Use the correct pressure washer wand tip. These differ by manufacturer, so check your user manual.
The tips determine the spread of the stream; 0-degree tips concentrate the spread for a powerful but narrow spray, while greater angle tips widen the spray angle for a gentler result.
Most tips follow a color code, with black being the greatest angle (65 degrees), then white (40 degrees), green (25 degrees), yellow (15 degrees), and red (0 degrees).
How Long Does an Electric Pressure Washer Last?
If you buy a good quality power washer and keep it clean and stored safely, it should last you a long time. Typically, homeowners will use a pressure washer less than 50 hours a year, so a 500-hour rated machine will last over 10 years.
Keep Your Home Sparkling with the Best Electric Pressure Washer
With the right electric pressure washer, you’ll be able to tackle all kinds of home and property maintenance tasks, from cleaning your driveway, patios and decking to washing vehicles, walls and siding.
For most household tasks like cleaning pavers and gutters, a unit offering 1300-1500PSI is ideal, but you will need something more powerful for tough jobs like stripping paint.
We hope this article helped you find the best electric pressure washer for your home – happy cleaning!